COVID-19 UPDATE: It is important that we follow official guidelines to minimise the risk from COVID-19, so we would ask you to bear with us during these unprecedented times. We are now welcoming clients back to the office for in-person meetings where necessary, but we are still able to meet by telephone or video call. Please also ensure you are wearing a face mask if you come to visit us in the office, in line with Welsh Assembly guidelines.

If you live with a partner but you’re not legally married. Here are four things you might like to consider to ensure you are protected.

  1. OWNERSHIP – if the house is not in your name, you are at risk if your partner asks you to leave. There are two types of joint ownership to consider: Tenants in Common and Joint Ownership.
  2. DECLARATION OF TRUST – It is advisable to sign a Declaration of Trust, which clearly outlines what you each own and how the value of the property would be divided should you ever separate in the future. Without signing a Declaration of Trust, both parties could risk a complicated legal battle. If you don’t detail your individual shares in the property and you then later disagree on who should receive what, it may result in a costly court case.
  3. MAKING A WILL – It is particularly important for a cohabiting couple to make Wills, whatever the choice of joint ownership. The surviving partner will not automatically be entitled to the remaining share of the property as it becomes part of the deceased’s estate.
  4. LIVING TOGETHER AGREEMENT – a Will can ensure that assets are kept within the family and are passed on down the generations. All contributing factors can be incorporated into a Living Together Agreement. This agreement can also detail mortgage payments, payment of bills, life insurance, pensions and Wills.

For further advice and guidance, contact our specialist team on 01792 468684 or email We can help guide you through the process of ensuring you are protected when cohabiting.

Share This