Call our team on:

(01792) 468684

Building and construction dispute FAQs

Unfortunately, no matter how well a project is run, building disputes can still arise. Have you had an issue with any building work in the past?

We have answered our most frequently asked questions relating to dispute resolution, below:

What issues could arise?

  • Faulty workmanship
  • Defective materials
  • Over charging / unexpected costs
  • Poor professional advice
  • Delay in not meeting timescales
  • Non-compliance to building regulations

Can I make a claim against my builder?

Yes, you may be able to make a claim against your builder if they have provided poor workmanship or breached a contract. To make a claim, you can seek legal advice from our team at PGM who can advise you on your legal rights and options. We can also help you negotiate a settlement or take legal action to recover any losses.

How do you resolve disputes with builder?

To resolve disputes with a builder, homeowners or commercial property owners can try to negotiate a settlement with the builder directly. However, before taking any steps to try and resolve the dispute, you should seek legal advice. If discussions are not successful you can consider taking legal action to resolve the dispute. Again, early advice should be taken before commencing.

Is there a time limit to claiming against a builder?
Certain deadlines apply to these cases if you are considering pursuing your builder for negligence and/or breach of contract. Known as ‘limitation’, the typical time limit to bring a claim for breach of contract and negligence is six years, this may differ depending on individual circumstance.

What are my rights?

Building disputes can be very complex. The rights and remedies can be determined by the various contractual terms that you have agreed with the builder. Each case will have to be considered on its own facts. It’s important to ensure you keep a diary of all works that have been carried out during the building work and any payments that you have made to the builder or any other party.

When do I need to involve a solicitor?
First try communicating your concerns, detailing your complaint and what you would like resolved. Keep records of any communication, receipts, invoices, and other evidence – such as photos.

If you cannot resolve the matter between yourselves, you should seek specialist legal advice.

What areas do PGM specialise in?

Our team can offer confidential advice and guidance across a range of areas:

  • Residential building disputes
  • Commercial building disputes
  • Debt collection
  • Litigation
  • Mediation
  • Advice on forms of building contract
  • Advice on Japanese Knotweed invasion

The aim is always to get the best results for you, the client, in the most cost effective way.

Related Articles

On occasion, even the most expensive consumer goods can go wrong. When it does, not only do you face the obvious disappointment when your new object of desire does not come up to expectation, you also potentially suffer a significant financial loss.
Running a business is not always easy. There can be too much red tape and admin, and not enough time to actually do the work. This is often made worse by customers who are reluctant or slow payers.
Disputes can often arise regarding the position of the legal boundary between neighbouring properties. While a boundary often appears to be demarcated by a physical feature such as a fence or hedge; a legal boundary is in effect a two-dimensional line which separates two properties.