COVID-19 UPDATE: It is important that we follow official guidelines to minimise the risk from COVID-19, so we would ask you to bear with us during these unprecedented times. We are now welcoming clients back to the office for in-person meetings where necessary, but we are still able to meet by telephone or video call. Please also ensure you are wearing a face mask if you come to visit us in the office, in line with Welsh Assembly guidelines.

As it is increasingly common for couples to divorce and remarry, the likelihood of a step-parent becoming involved in the upbringing of the child is extremely high. Parental rights for a step-parent are often unclear, especially if the relationship with the child’s parent has ended.

It is only natural to develop parental instincts when spending a large portion of time in a child’s upbringing. However, if the relationship with the parent has ended it may be difficult to maintain a relationship with the child.

Some relationships end with a mutual understanding that it is for the best interest of the child that the step-parent continues to have a parental relationship. But this is not the case for all separations. If the relationship has ended in a hostile manner, the parent may prevent the child from having any further relationship with the step-parent, even if this goes against the child’s wishes. In this case it might be beneficial to seek professional guidance, to determine whether you have a strong enough case to pursue the issue further.

Anyone can apply to the court for a Child Arrangements Order (formerly a contact order) but not everyone can do so as of right. Anyone else will need permission from the court to make an application. Provided you can show that you had a close connection with the child and that there will be no harm to the child by making of the application, permission to make the application is likely to be granted.

A step-parent, who was married to, or a civil partner to a parent who has parental responsibility, can apply for a Child Arrangements Order without permission. Even if you have not been married or in a civil partnership with the parent there are some other circumstances where you can apply without permission.

It is undoubtedly an emotional and difficult time when fighting for rights over a child, especially if you are not a biological parent. Each case is unique, therefore to fully understand your rights as a step-parent it is best to consult with a professional family lawyer who could examine the situation in detail. For further information on step-parents’ rights, speak to one of our experienced and sensitive family solicitors directly by calling on 01792 468684.



Share This